United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
United Nations Economic and Social Commision
Intern of Economic Affairs
New Delhi, India
United Nations Economic Council
The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945. It is currently made up of 193 Member States. The mission and work of the United Nations are guided by the purposes and principles contained in its founding charger.
Due to the powers vested in its Charter and its unique international character, the United Nations can take action on the issues confronting humanity in the 21st century, such as peace and security, climate change, sustainable development, human rights, disarmament, terrorism, humanitarian and health emergencies, gender equality, governance, food production, and more.
The United Nations Core Competencies include:
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
- are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme;
- shall be computer literate in standard software applications;
- have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background and the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assistance in drafting and preparing official documents
- Attending and summarizing conferences and meetings
- Document, legal and internet research
- Assistance during conferences
- Working on web-presentation
- Compiling statistics
- Conduct literature review/desk research to support the drafting of occasional papers/policy briefs on topics such as economic and social development, MDG achievements, and regional economic integration in the subregion and beyond, including transport connectivity, food and energy security, and disaster risk reduction with a special focus on South Asian least developed countries.
- Assist in implementation of projects/activities
- Assist in media analysis outreach communication activities, including preparing public information materials including web-based publications.
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on “The Application Process” and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of inspira account-holder homepage.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Questions can be directed to Social Affairs Officier, Wanphen Sreshthaputra-Korotki; email@example.com
The Cover Note must include:
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying or what have you studied)
- Graduation date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
- List of the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- List of your top three areas of interest
- Explanation about why you are the most suitable candidate for this specific internship