The goal of the SAI Graduate Student Associates is to establish a community of peers to support original and independent research on South Asia by doctoral students at Harvard.
Each Graduate Associate is awarded a research stipend, and offered a desk space and computer as space permits, on the 4th floor of the CGIS South Building.
SAI invites proposals in any discipline or field in South Asian Studies and encourages work in/on all of South Asia as well as the study of South Asia in larger connective contexts.
Applications are due on March 10, 2017.
Doctoral degree candidates from all Harvard academic departments and professional schools are eligible to apply. Applicants from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences should have completed their General Examinations and commenced research on their dissertation. The GSA program is best suited for students who have completed a dissertation prospectus.
As a member of the SAI community, students are required to:
- Participate in monthly workshops in which they present their thesis research to one another.
- In the spring, jointly organize a workshop to share insights about the doctoral program at Harvard. This workshop will be open to all undergraduates and graduates interested in pursuing advanced degrees. Students are encouraged to attend and learn from the GSAs about their experience.
- Present their research at the quarterly SAI Steering Committee meetings.
The GSA program is headed by Parimal Patil, Professor of Religion and Indian Philosophy, Chair of the Department of South Asian Studies, and SAI steering committee member. It is expected that GSAs wil be on campus for the entire year of their fellowship to actively participate in the program.
- A cover letter, including:
- Name (First and Last)
- Primary Email
- School and Department
- Field of Study
- Thesis Title
- A current resume or CV
- A 1000-word description of the thesis or related project
- A current transcript (unofficial is fine)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members familiar with your work (these can be emailed directly by the faculty member to Diana Nguyen, email@example.com)
Please do not submit a hard copy to our office. Email your application components to Diana Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aman Foundation Graduate Student Associate Fellowship
In partnership with the Aman Foundation, a local, not-for-profit trust, based and operating in Pakistan, SAI will choose to fund a SAI Graduate Student Associate for the Academic Year 2015-2016. Students whose research focuses on issues related to Pakistan or students from Pakistan may be named the SAI-Aman Foundation GSA. The application is the same as the general Graduate Student Associate application.